Sunday, July 22, 2007

Three Bean Salad


Prepare vegetables:
  • 3 cans of three different varieties of beans, rinsed and drained (I used white, kidney, and black)
  • 2 large tomatoes, chopped small
  • 1/2 onion, chopped small
  • 1 bell pepper, chopped small
  • 1 bunch purslane if you can get it, tear leaves off stem
  • 1 bunch cilantro, chopped fine
  • 1 large cucumber, chopped small
Make vinaigrette and pour over vegetables:
  • 1/4 cup vinegar, I prefer white wine or rice but any kind you have will do
  • 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
  • 2 limes or lemons, juiced
  • 1/2 tablespoon honey
  • 1 teaspoon garlic salt, I use Lawrey's California Style
  • black pepper to taste

I started making this recipe when I lived in Lebanon. The abundance of fresh vegetables inspired me to try it and over the years I've refined it. Just this year I switched from parsley to cilantro and it makes it even better. You can keep it in the fridge for several days, so you can make a big batch and serve it at several meals. You can adjust the proportion of oil to vinegar to suit your taste. My family loves it and I hope yours does too!

6 comments:

Rima said...

Looks scrumptious! I'll bet the cilantro tastes better than the parsley with this. I'm going to try it, and add some celery or some avocado!

Antigone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Antigone said...

Sorry, I had to delete the previous comment because of my bad spelling and I didn't want everyone to know how bad I really am.

Oooo, it does look delicious. I like change to cilantro too, my favorite. And Rima's got the right idea by adding avocado, Yum Yum!

Bev said...

I could try this with my kids, as beans are very children-friendly, filling and protein-rich and I am trying to stop them eating too much meat.

It also helps it looks lovely too, which is important when it comes to feeding kids!

Debi said...

Delicious! Delicious! Delicious!

We made this for supper tonight. And it's a keeper.

I served it with Lebanese rice.

I didn't have any purslane (in the summer my yard is full of it) so we substituted fresh spinach. And because we were having rice with it, I felt we needed a little crunch, so I added 1/3 c of walnuts.

I need to add this to the regular rotation. Thanks, Mom!

Aunti said...

You can get this book here....


http://www.cooking.com/products/shprodde.asp?SKU=267462