Thursday, July 05, 2007

Rima's Chicken Waldorf Salad

Chicken Waldorf Salad

(or what to do with leftover chicken)



Ingredients:


Dressing:

1 Tbsp cider vinegar (or other mild vinegar like plain rice vinegar)
2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
½ tsp curry powder OR ¼ tsp curry paste

1 pinch each salt and cracked black pepper

Salad:


1 Granny Smith apple, cut into small chunks (I like it better peeled)
¼ cup toasted walnuts or pecan pieces

¼ cup golden raisins

1 small celery stalk, thinly sliced

1/2 sweet onion, diced (such as vidalia or spanish)

1 cup (more or less) cooked chicken (leftover roast chicken is best)


How to:

Mix the dressing ingredients in large salad bowl.

Add remaining ingredients.


Serve with crackers or toasted bread.

4 comments:

Bobbie said...

This sounds absolutley wonderful, Rima. I can't wait to make it. I am on Weight Watchers and I'm pretty sure I can shave a few calories off of this already healthy salad.

Rima said...

Glad you like it - It's my favourite chicken salad recipe. Instead of the mayo (even lo-fat has too many calories and non-fat is too yucky), you could probably get away with low-fat sour cream. Hmm, sour cream and chicken - reminds me of a Silver palate recipe that had tarragon in it... gotta look that one up.

Hannah's Mom said...

Yum, YUMMY. I sent my husband to the store and I am going to have to call him and add to my list.
Thanks for sharing!

Antigone said...

This does sound very good and very easy to make. I will have to print it out. Thank you for sharing.