Wednesday, November 01, 2006

Kay's Best Cornbread

Kay's Best Cornbread

1 C Flour
1 C White Cornmeal
¼ C Sugar
2 t Baking Powder
1 t Baking Soda
2 C Buttermilk
2 Eggs

Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Add 2 T oil to a 10” iron skillet and heat on burner until really hot and smoking. Mix dry ingredients then stir in buttermilk and egg. Pour into hot oil and place immediately into hot oven. Bake until golden brown.

White Cornmeal tastes best, but you can substitute yellow. Also plain milk with 1 tbs of vinegar added may be used instead of buttermilk, but it greatly impacts texture and taste. I have a cooktop and I cannot use an iron skillet on it so I use my heated oven instead and heat the skillet until hot but not smoking.

1 comment:

Debi said...

Ooo, I remember this cornbread -- while visiting you for Thanksgiving one year, I think. It's the best cornbread I ever ate.